The Essentials to Look For in a Whey Protein Powder
When you are training hard and need to make sure you are getting enough protein to recover from workouts, and build lean muscle, you want to get the best. Your best choice is all-natural, 100% grass fed cows’ whey, NOT a pesticide-treated, grain-fed product.
- Compared to grain-fed cows, grass fed cows produce whey that is nutritionally superior to grain fed. It contains an impressive amino acid and immuno-supportive nutrient profile. Plus it is rich in healthy fats–lipolic acid and CLA (conjugated linoleic acid)
- Look for brands that come from hormone-free cows, NOT hormonally-treated cows. Many American dairy farmers inject the hormone rBGH in dairy cows to increase milk production. This hormone has been linked to serious disease and illness, including cancer.
- Choose cold processed, NOT heat processed. Most whey is heat processed which makes the whey acidic and nutritionally deficient. In addition it damages the immuno-supportive micronutrients and amino acids and makes whey inadequate for consumption. Cold processed whey protects the nutrients in their natural state.
- Acid-free processing, NOT acid / ion exchange processing. Acid / ion exchange processing is cheaper than acid-free processing, but it denatures the amino acid profiles by using acids and chemicals to separate the whey from the fats.
- Look for whey protein concentrate, NOT protein isolates. Protein isolates are proteins stripped away from their nutritional cofactors. There are three problems with that. All isolates are exposed to acid processing. Your body cannot assimilate proteins in isolated form. Due to over-processing, isolates are deficient in key amino acids and nutritional cofactors.
- Choose brands that are unflavored or sweetened naturally, NOT artificially sweetened. Most whey products are artificially sweetened making them useless if you have sugar sensitivities, or just don’t want to put artificial sweeteners or flavors into your body. Your whey should be low glycemic, low carb and should not contain any artificial sweeteners, sugar alcohol, glycerin, fructose, sugar or gluten. Stevia is okay.
That is a lot to look for in a whey protein powder, but it’s absolutely worth your time and is important for your health. You spend time, money and a whole lot of effort on your training. You may as well get the best results from your nutrition. You can search your local health food store’s shelves and you might find some of the things you want, but most likely you will find that they contain ingredients you don’t want. WheyCool Powder by Designs for Health is available in Natural, Vanilla and Chocolate flavors. It provides 24 grams of protein with only 120 calories, 3 gram of carbs and 2 grams of fats. It’s the ideal protein powder for your breakfast or post workout recovery smoothie. Just add some berries, greens, liquid and good fats for a complete meal that will keep you satisfied for hours.
For recipe ideas and to learn more about healthy smoothie making click here.
To order WheyCool in either plain, chocolate or vanilla go to Tri Holistic Nutrition Online Store